The Bryanston Country Club started out with the Proclamation of the land and 301 acres being set aside for a golf course to be built in the township of Bryanston in 1940. Messrs Hedding, Alrridge and Bentwich came together in 1943 to start the discussions on how to proceed with regards to the course and at some point in their discussions the idea to not just build a Golf Course but to build a Country Club grew and an ad hoc committee was formed with a number of Bryanston residents.
At the end of 1948 the first official committee come into place although it was on in July of 1949 that The Club commissioned Mr Charles Hugh Alison to design the course. Later that year constructions started and Tommy Tomsett was appointed to interpret drawings and plans with Koos de Beer being brought in to do the construction.
Finally in 1951 Sir Ernest Oppenheimer, the first president of the club opened The Club house and the first 9 holes, with Mrs Irene Douglas driving in the first ball.
The Club was a quasis- Tudor style with lofty ceilings and high-pitched shingled roofs. A dining room, members lounge, kitchen, pro shop, offices, cloak rooms and workshop were all located within this one structure.
In August of 1953, while a ball was in full swing a fire broke out and the entire Club house was destroyed by a fire.
The rebuilding of The Club commenced in July of ’54 to a cost of around £47 000.00 and was completed in February ’55. At this time the first club logo was designed featuring The Phoenix rising from the ashes.
Work proceeded on the course and the remaining nine holes were brought into play on the 27th of February ’55 with an exhibition game by Pro’s Bobby Locke, Otway Hayes, George Farmers and Jimmy Bullock.
In ’61 due to The Club membership growing and members requiring more facilities alterations and additions were made and The Phoenix Room – now the Phoenix Restaurant was born. During ’64 a 10 year master plan for development was drawn up to upgrade kitchen, main dining and service areas around The Clubhouse.
In March of 1970 The club opened the squash courts offering its members diverse sporting activities. At the same time The Gallery function venue opened above the main dining room and is now The Cumberland room.
Lady members were eligible for election for the first time in 1971.
The Committee keep up with the growth of the club even during difficult economic times and in 1972 Phase one was completed which consisted of a new Pro shop, bag store, caddie complex, extension of the general office, major changes to the change rooms, extension to the dining room and closing in of the main dining rooms veranda to provide for a grill room/cocktail lounge.
In the early hours of 27 May ’76 sadly only 23 years after the first fire, the club suffered another fire but this was contained mainly to the change room, entrance hall and lounge thanks to the prompt arrival of the Sandton fire department. Due to the kitchen not being damaged catering service continued and the change rooms were immediately erected for the convenience of the members taking part in sport activities.
Improvement were done in 1980 to the kitchens, main dining room, the Phoenix room and the cocktail bar lounge.
The Club house is ever growing with alterations happening regularly to enhance the Members experience of the Club. The Golf Course is well known by golfers and an amazing green belt in the middle of a bustling city.